Today I was watching the film called The Invention of Lying. It's about a
world where everyone tells the truth – and just about anything they're
thinking. The main character – Mark Bellison – is a below-average screenwriter,
who is going to be fired. He's short and chunky with a snub nose which means that
he doesn’t match genetically with Anna, the woman he loves. At a bank, he
firstly uses lying with surprising results. Then, when his mother on her
deathbed, frightened of the eternal void awaiting her, Mark invents fiction.
The hospital staff overhear his description of Heaven, believe every word, and
tell others. Soon Mark is considered to be a prophet and his first made-up
screenplay makes him rich. But he isn't happy because he still is not good
enough for Anna...
Firstly, I thought it will be pointless and
stupid comedy but the second half of the film surprised me very well because
there were some deep thoughts although it was a comedy. I liked the film mainly
because of Ricky Gervais playing Mark Bellison. He was excellent and I really appreciate
his expression and humour.
However, the main idea of the world where nobody
can lie seems to be pointless but I know that it was the point of this film. I
couldn’t understand the fact that other people didn’t grasp that he can lie and
I was waiting for some kind of disclosure the whole film. And without it this
film missed unexpected twist.

Žádné komentáře:
Okomentovat